Saturday, September 4, 2010

I Was Wrong

That last time I blogged, I talked about how I might be growing to not hate University of Utah athletics.

I was wrong.

Last Thursday I was in my marketing class at the U, and it went fine. I don't have anything against my particular program, and I am enjoying it as much as anyone can enjoy going to night school while working full time and adjusting to a new baby at home.

But the Utes' first football game of the season was also Thursday night at home. There were about 10-12 kids (actually grown-ups, but I'll call anyone my a kid as long as I live) wearing Utah paraphernalia... red shirts with giant white "U's" on them.

I did not appreciate the shirts or the excitement in the air about Utah football. I didn't appreciate the score updates in class. I wanted desperately for Pitt to squash the home team.

One kid in particular sat directly across from me. He barely looked at me all night, and I never heard him speak a word. But he was wearing a red Utah polo like sideline workers wear... and I wanted to punch him in the face.

I am not a violent man, and I doubt I would ever do physical harm to this person unless he threatened my family or friends. But I hated him. I wanted to throw things at him. I felt this nearly overwhelming urge to "rise and shout" as we talked about how Google rules the world and students secretly checked their mobile devices for score updates.

So let it be known. I will use the University of Utah's David Eccles School of Business for its education and diploma, and then I will bid the institution adieu. I do bleed blue.

Go Cougs!!!

No comments: